Sunday, December 15, 2013

Library Couch-Craze

by Alexandra Paz-Berreiras

Footsteps are gradually getting louder…. Soon, students are seen running down the hall, racing to get through the door. What could they possibly be so excited about? What must be the root cause for all this chaos?
Of course! It’s the coveted library couches!
Every week the Savoy Library is host to dozens of classes looking for a refreshing change of scenery from their normal classrooms. In August, when Rebecca and I moved around the furniture, we hoped that the students would also enjoy the new layout and find the library to be a comfortable place they would be happy to use as their space. Now, nearing the end of December, the result of doing so is clear – it’s a hit!
It’s great to see students genuinely excited to be in the library. The Savoy Library has become the hub for both studying and socializing and I couldn’t be happier about it. Everyday I see students come in to sit in their favourite cozy spot. Our designated Silent Study Room allows students who would like a more isolated study experience to enjoy their time in peace and quiet.
As my co-op term comes to a close, I can certainly say that I will miss this place. The Savoy Library was practically my home, even taking a nap on one of the couches in the off hours. For months to come I will definitely be reminiscing about the smiling (and even the frowning) students, the teachers, the staff, and all the other people that makes the library a great place to be. Until next time…keep reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment